We had a message and a photo tonight from a very excited granddaughter , she wanted to tell us that she had sponsored a guide dog called Joy, she is only just 12 years old and is paying for it from her own money bless her, she wanted to do it because her granddad needs one and she wanted to help she is such a lovely caring person I cant share her photo but I just wish you could see the beautiful smile on her face she looks so happy.
I can show you some photos of the puppy that I found on the guide dog site She is so cute
Did you know it takes 2 years to train a guide dog at 6-8 weeks they go to a volunteer walker who introduces them to sights, smells and sounds - such as busy roads and public transport. They are taught to walk ahead on the lead and obey simple commands such as sit, down, stay and come. at a year old they leave their puppy walker and go to school ,They learn to walk in a straight line unless there’s an obstacle, not to
turn corners unless told to do so. To stop at kerbs and wait for the
command to cross or turn left or right. To judge height and width so
that its owner does not bump their head or shoulder and to deal with
traffic.
Next the dog
is matched with the correct owner. To do this they have to consider the
length of owner's stride, their height and lifestyle. The owner and
guide dog train together for 4 weeks.If successful,they will spend the next 7 working together,
My hubby had a stroke A few years ago now and lost most of his sight we had a guide dog called Major we had him for almost 7 years and he was coming up for retirement when he was taken ill and died, it was so sad, we miss him so much he wasn't just a working dog he was part of our family, We are now waiting for a new guide dog not sure how long we will have to wait hopefully not to long as hubby misses the Independence it gave him,
So I will post some photos of Joy first, these are not my photo's just sharing them.
Isn't she just the cutest pup. if anyone reading this could help by sponsoring a puppy like Joy here's the link
Here are a few of my favorite ones of Major
Thank you for visiting my blog








You must be so proud of her, Wouldnt if be lovely if Chris got that dog has his guide. xxxx
ReplyDeleteThank you Wendy he wouldnt want to wait another 2 years while it trained but a lovely thought x
DeleteJoy is just beautiful like your Major. I agree, wouldn't it be wonderful it Chris got that dog. Wowsie! The photos are gorgeous. Again, I count my blessings that I still have good eyesight. I hope your hubby gets his new dog soon so that he can enjoy his walks. Now I'm off to get busy here. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.
ReplyDeleteThank you for another lovely comment that would be really special but its only just started it training so 2 years is to long to wait hopefully soon he will get his new one, have a good day x
Delete